FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How do I register to walk for the DC Walk for the Animals?
- Click here to register online. You can choose whether you will register as an individual, or if you'd like to form or join a team. If you experience problems registering, please call 202-735-0324 for assistance.
Is there a cost to register?
- Registration fees are $35 per person. This donation helps the Humane Rescue Alliance (HRA) provide care to the thousands of animals we support each year.
Is there a fundraising requirement to walk?
- No, there is no fundraising requirement to participate but we encourage you to help HRA raise money to support our community's animals.
How long is the Walk?
- The Walk is approximately 0.7 mile around the Capitol Riverfront neighborhood. Walk route may be found on the Event Information page.
How are fundraising proceeds used from the DC Walk for the Animals?
- 100 percent of the proceeds from the DC Walk for the Animals stay in the DC metro area to fund HRA’s programs and services including local adoptions, spay/neuter services, low-cost veterinary care, behavior and training classes, and more.
How can I find a Walk participant's fundraising page?
- From the Walk event homepage (click here) you can enter the walker's name in the “Search Participants” boxes on the right side of the page below the large graphics.
Why does the “Search Participants” search not find the walker I’m looking for?
- You must enter the name in exactly the same way the participant did. Try entering only the first few letters of the participant's first or last name instead of the whole name.
Where do I mail donation checks?
- Humane Rescue Alliance
Attn: DC Walk for the Animals
71 Oglethorpe St., NW
Washington, DC 20011
*You MUST write in the Memo field on the check: DC Walk for the Animals.
** If you want your donation credited to a specific walker, you MUST write in the Memo field on the check: DC Walk for the Animals, c/o “Walker Name”.
Who should checks be payable to?
- Checks should be made payable to: Humane Rescue Alliance
Are donations tax-deductible in the United States?
- Yes. Monetary donations are tax-deductible to the fullest extent of the law.
If I don’t show up to the event, where does the money that I've raised go?
- If you do not participate in DC Walk for the Animals donations cannot be refunded or transferred to another walker. Your donations will still go directly to supporting the Humane Rescue Alliance.
How do I create a Walk Team?
- If you are not yet registered for the DC Walk for the Animals you will select the “Form a Team” button on the event homepage (or click here).
How do I join a Walk Team that’s already created?
- If you are not yet registered for the DC Walk for the Animals you will select the “Join a Team” button on the event homepage (or click here). If you are already registered for the event but would like to be added to a team that is already created by someone else please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will update your registration.
Where can I get DC Walk for the Animals flyers to print and distribute?
- You can download a DC Walk for the Animals flyer from the website (click here).
Can I transfer my registration to another person?
- Because each registration is associated with an address, email, and participant center, you cannot transfer your registration to another person.
What if it rains on September 22?
- This event will be held rain or shine. In the case of dangerous inclement weather, this event will be canceled. We will make this decision the morning of Friday, September 21, 2018 and communicate to all registered walkers. This will also be posted on www.dcwalkfortheanimals.org and www.humanerescuealliance.org/special-events.
Will my participation in the Walk be timed?
- No, this is not a timed event.
Are pets allowed?
- Canine companions are welcome. For some helpful guidelines read below:
- Participating dogs must be friendly and of good temperament.
- Because we are addressing the issue of pet overpopulation, we highly recommend that dogs are spayed or neutered.
- Puppies less than six months must have two rounds of the parvo-distemper vaccination.
- The Walk is less than 1 mile. Walkers and their dogs should be in suitable physical condition.
- All dogs must have current rabies vaccinations.
- Dogs must wear an identification tag and be kept on a leash (6 feet or shorter) at all times. No retractable leashes.
- Several community dog watering stations along the walk route will be provided.
- You are responsible for cleaning up after your dog. Please bring pet waste bags.
- Do not leave pets in parked cars at any time.
- Tips for Taking Your Dog Out in Public
What should I remember to bring?
- Please plan to bring:
- Water bottle for you, dog bowl, pet waste bags.
- Comfortable shoes.
- Appropriate clothing.
- Additional donations.
How do I get to the DC Walk for the Animals?
- For more details visit the Event Information section on the website here.